[gmx-users] Re: surface tension

André Farias de Moura moura at ufscar.br
Tue Mar 15 05:09:01 CET 2011

Dear Elisabeth,

actually, it is the other way around, you need increase the box length in
one direction, thus keeping periodic boundary conditions in the other two
directions while a (infinitely periodic) surface is created. and notice that
using genconf with -nbox 3 3 1 will increase your system but will not make
it a surface system, unless you increase the box length in one direction.

as regards the size, the larger the model system, the smaller should be
the fluctuations. but mind that you should increase the size by a few
order of magnitude for any noticeable decrease on the (huge) RMSD
values you are getting. if you want to check the results for convergence
maybe you could try either a block averaging or a running average (grace
can do that for you).

best regards

Andre