[gmx-users] Failure to preserve simulation temperature

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Mar 15 14:00:48 CET 2011

NG HUI WEN wrote:
> Hi all,
>

> I have something here which I am would like to pick your brains. Thank
> you in advance. In my trial-and-error attempt to equilibrate my membrane
> protein system, I encountered this problem.
>

> I was playing with 2 different mdp files (in succession), first by using
> the Nose Hoover then v-rescale. I realised upon changing from the former
> to the latter there was a drop in simulation temperature from 310K to
> about 263K. Not sure if this have anything to do with the switch of
> thermostat or due to some other parameter change?
>

> The mdp file below which contain the Nose Hoover thermostat was used to
> generate A3_1posre (see below grompp command)
>
> title           = NPT
>
> define          = -DPOSRES
>
> ; Run parameters
>
> integrator      = md
>
> nsteps          = 500000        ; 2 * 500000 = 1000 ps (1 ns)
>
> dt              = 0.002
>
> ; Output control
>
> nstxout         = 50000
>
> nstvout         = 50000
>
> nstenergy       = 500
>
> nstlog          = 500
>
> ; Bond parameters
>
> continuation    = yes
>
> constraint_algorithm = lincs
>
> constraints     = all-bonds
>
> lincs_iter      = 1
>
> lincs_order     = 4
>
> ; Neighborsearching
>
> ns_type         = grid
>
> nstlist         = 5
>
> rlist           = 1.2
>
> rcoulomb        = 1.2
>
> rvdw            = 1.2
>
> ; Electrostatics
>
> coulombtype     = PME
>
> pme_order       = 4
>
> fourierspacing  = 0.16
>
> ; Temperature coupling is on
>
> tcoupl          = Nose-Hoover
>
> tc-grps         = Protein POPC SOL_CL-
>
> tau_t           = 0.1   0.1     0.1
>
> ref_t           = 310   310     310
>
> ; Pressure coupling is on
>
> pcoupl          = Parrinello-Rahman
>
> pcoupltype      = semiisotropic
>
> tau_p           = 5.0
>
> ref_p           = 1.0   1.0
>
> compressibility = 4.5e-5        4.5e-5
>
> ; Periodic boundary conditions
>
> pbc             = xyz
>
> ; Dispersion correction
>
> DispCorr        = EnerPres
>
> ; Velocity generation
>
> gen_vel         = no
>
> ; COM motion removal
>
> nstcomm         = 1
>
> comm-mode       = Linear
>
> comm-grps       = Protein_POPC SOL_CL-
>
> ; Energy groups
>
> energygrps      = Protein POPC SOL_CL-
>

> I then use another mdp file containing v-rescale thermostat to extend
> the simulation
>

> grompp –f  v-rescale.mdp    –c  A3_1posre.gro  –o  A3_noposre.tpr   -n
> index.ndx   -p topol_3.top
>
> mdrun_mpi  -s  A3_noposre.tpr    -v   -cpi  A3_1posre.cpt

The problem is likely here.  You're switching the conditions of the ensemble
during mdrun.  Normally, you would supply the .cpt file to grompp -t to preserve
all the state variables.  In conjunction with "gen_vel = no" in the .mdp file,
the continuation is exact.  Since you're not generating velocities with grompp
AND not supplying a .cpt file, the initial state will be hard to predict, but
likely will not correspond to the proper ensemble.

-Justin

> title           = NPT
>
> define          =
>
> ; Run parameters
>
> integrator      = md
>
> nsteps          = 1000000      ; 2 * 1000000 = 2000 ps (2 ns)
>
> dt              = 0.002         ; 2 fs
>
> ; Output control
>
> nstxout         = 250000
>
> nstvout         = 250000
>
> nstenergy       = 1000
>
> nstlog          = 500
>
> nstxtcout       = 250000
>
> ; Bond parameters
>
> continuation    = yes
>
> constraint_algorithm = lincs
>
> constraints     = all-bonds
>
> lincs_iter      = 1
>
> lincs_order     = 4
>
> ; Neighborsearching
>
> ns_type         = grid
>
> nstlist         = 10
>
> rlist           = 1.2
>
> rcoulomb        = 1.2
>
> rvdw            = 1.2
>
> ; Electrostatics
>
> coulombtype     = PME
>
> pme_order       = 4
>
> fourierspacing  = 0.12
>
> ; Temperature coupling is on
>
> tcoupl          = v-rescale
>
> fluctuation
>
> tc-grps         = Protein POPC SOL_CL-
>
> tau_t           = 0.1   0.1     0.1
>
> ref_t           = 310   310     310
>
> ; Pressure coupling is on
>
> pcoupl          = Parrinello-Rahman
>
> pcoupltype      = semiisotropic
>
> tau_p           = 1.0
>
> ref_p           = 1.0   1.0
>
> compressibility = 4.5e-5        4.5e-5
>
> ; Periodic boundary conditions
>
> pbc             = xyz           ; 3-D PBC
>
> ; Dispersion correction
>
> DispCorr        = EnerPres
>
> ; Velocity generation
>
> gen_vel         = no
>
> ; COM motion removal
>
> ; These options remove motion of the protein/bilayer relative to the
> solvent/ions
>
> nstcomm         = 1
>
> comm-mode       = Linear
>
> comm-grps       = Protein_POPC SOL_CL-
>
> ; Energy groups
>
> energygrps      = Protein POPC SOL_CL-
>

> <<

> message or in any attachment. Any views or opinions expressed by the
> University of Nottingham.

> computer system: you are advised to perform your own checks. Email
> permitted by UK & Malaysia legislation.
>
>  >>

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate