[gmx-users] Failure to preserve simulation temperature

NG HUI WEN HuiWen.Ng at nottingham.edu.my
Tue Mar 15 12:41:51 CET 2011

Hi all,

I have something here which I am would like to pick your brains. Thank
you in advance. In my trial-and-error attempt to equilibrate my membrane
protein system, I encountered this problem.

I was playing with 2 different mdp files (in succession), first by using
the Nose Hoover then v-rescale. I realised upon changing from the former
to the latter there was a drop in simulation temperature from 310K to
about 263K. Not sure if this have anything to do with the switch of
thermostat or due to some other parameter change?

The mdp file below which contain the Nose Hoover thermostat was used to
generate A3_1posre (see below grompp command)

title           = NPT

define          = -DPOSRES

; Run parameters

integrator      = md

nsteps          = 500000        ; 2 * 500000 = 1000 ps (1 ns)

dt              = 0.002

; Output control

nstxout         = 50000

nstvout         = 50000

nstenergy       = 500

nstlog          = 500

; Bond parameters

continuation    = yes

constraint_algorithm = lincs

constraints     = all-bonds

lincs_iter      = 1

lincs_order     = 4

; Neighborsearching

ns_type         = grid

nstlist         = 5

rlist           = 1.2

rcoulomb        = 1.2

rvdw            = 1.2

; Electrostatics

coulombtype     = PME

pme_order       = 4

fourierspacing  = 0.16

; Temperature coupling is on

tcoupl          = Nose-Hoover

tc-grps         = Protein POPC SOL_CL-

tau_t           = 0.1   0.1     0.1

ref_t           = 310   310     310

; Pressure coupling is on

pcoupl          = Parrinello-Rahman

pcoupltype      = semiisotropic

tau_p           = 5.0

ref_p           = 1.0   1.0

compressibility = 4.5e-5        4.5e-5

; Periodic boundary conditions

pbc             = xyz

; Dispersion correction

DispCorr        = EnerPres

; Velocity generation

gen_vel         = no

; COM motion removal

nstcomm         = 1

comm-mode       = Linear

comm-grps       = Protein_POPC SOL_CL-

; Energy groups

energygrps      = Protein POPC SOL_CL-

I then use another mdp file containing v-rescale thermostat to extend
the simulation

grompp -f  v-rescale.mdp    -c  A3_1posre.gro  -o  A3_noposre.tpr   -n
index.ndx   -p topol_3.top

mdrun_mpi  -s  A3_noposre.tpr    -v   -cpi  A3_1posre.cpt

title           = NPT

define          =

; Run parameters

integrator      = md

nsteps          = 1000000      ; 2 * 1000000 = 2000 ps (2 ns)

dt              = 0.002         ; 2 fs

; Output control

nstxout         = 250000

nstvout         = 250000

nstenergy       = 1000

nstlog          = 500

nstxtcout       = 250000

; Bond parameters

continuation    = yes

constraint_algorithm = lincs

constraints     = all-bonds

lincs_iter      = 1

lincs_order     = 4

; Neighborsearching

ns_type         = grid

nstlist         = 10

rlist           = 1.2

rcoulomb        = 1.2

rvdw            = 1.2

; Electrostatics

coulombtype     = PME

pme_order       = 4

fourierspacing  = 0.12

; Temperature coupling is on

tcoupl          = v-rescale

fluctuation

tc-grps         = Protein POPC SOL_CL-

tau_t           = 0.1   0.1     0.1

ref_t           = 310   310     310

; Pressure coupling is on

pcoupl          = Parrinello-Rahman

pcoupltype      = semiisotropic

tau_p           = 1.0

ref_p           = 1.0   1.0

compressibility = 4.5e-5        4.5e-5

; Periodic boundary conditions

pbc             = xyz           ; 3-D PBC

; Dispersion correction

DispCorr        = EnerPres

; Velocity generation

gen_vel         = no

; COM motion removal

; These options remove motion of the protein/bilayer relative to the
solvent/ions

nstcomm         = 1

comm-mode       = Linear

comm-grps       = Protein_POPC SOL_CL-

; Energy groups

energygrps      = Protein POPC SOL_CL-

<< This message and any attachment are intended solely for the addressee and may contain confidential information. If you have received this message in error, please send it back to me, and immediately delete it. Please do not use, copy or disclose the information contained in this message or in any attachment. Any views or opinions expressed by the author of this email do not necessarily reflect the views of the University of Nottingham.

This message has been checked for viruses but the contents of an attachment may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system: you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK & Malaysia legislation. >>