[gmx-users] Annealing of shell polarizable water model

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Mar 22 13:09:24 CET 2011

Ivan Gladich wrote:
> Dear David
> Dear all
> I did the serial run with the same topology and grompp: even if the
> simulation time is still short (due by the serial run), the temperature
> profiles are the same (see attached file).
>
> As further check, I removed the annealing and the temperature rises to
> 160 K after ~0.5ps without problem.
> So I do not think that it is a problem of the shell polarizability with
> the running in parallel.
> Could be a problem of the shell polarizability with annealing?

You could test that relatively easily with a simple box of water.  The result
would be useful.

Other than that, maybe the thermostat itself is causing the problem?  I always
do annealing with a weak coupling method, not Nose-Hoover.  I've had stability
problems with unequilibrated systems with N-H.  In principle, it shouldn't
matter, but setting tcoupl to Berendsen and/or V-rescale would be another very
useful diagnostic.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate