[gmx-users] compressing a box of water droplets into a homogeneous solution of liquid water

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Wed Mar 23 21:06:10 CET 2011

Thanks Patrick and Andre!

We repeated this with a few box sizes just to get a quick handle on
it. The equilibrium volume is about 64 nm^3. If we start with a volume
of 1000 nm^3 then the overall box does not collapse at all within 200
ps of NPT Langevin dynamics at 1 atm.If we start with a volume of 200
nm^3, then it does collapse to approximately 64 nm^3 within 200 ps of
such simulation.

My best guess is that the rapid collapse is driven by nonbonded
interactions and thus the rapid collapse does not occur when the
system is so large with such low density that water forms isolated
vapour droplets that do not interact with each other by LJ
interactions. Sure, it is expected to collapse eventually from the 1
atm pressure coupling, and we have also observed that high pressure
works, but at 1 atm it might take a very long time to reach equilibrium.

I agree with Andre that none of this matters to regular simulations as
there is no good reason to go through this type of state when one
wants to simulate dense liquids. I just found it curious that
Berendsen pressure coupling at 1 atm was not sufficient to quickly
equilibrate the volume in a system where the vacuum regions are large
in comparison to the LJ cutoffs.

Chris.