[gmx-users] compressing a box of water droplets into a homogeneous solution of liquid water

Patrick Fuchs patrick.fuchs at univ-paris-diderot.fr
Thu Mar 24 09:56:39 CET 2011

Hi Chris,
I fully agree with your analysis about the effect of non-bonded
interactions that accelerate the collapse when the layer of vacuum
around the system is thin. I also observed that it is way faster to
reach equilibrium density in this case.
Ciao,

Patrick

Le 23/03/2011 21:06, chris.neale at utoronto.ca a écrit :
> Thanks Patrick and Andre!
>
> We repeated this with a few box sizes just to get a quick handle on it.
> The equilibrium volume is about 64 nm^3. If we start with a volume of
> 1000 nm^3 then the overall box does not collapse at all within 200 ps of
> NPT Langevin dynamics at 1 atm.If we start with a volume of 200 nm^3,
> then it does collapse to approximately 64 nm^3 within 200 ps of such
> simulation.
>
> My best guess is that the rapid collapse is driven by nonbonded
> interactions and thus the rapid collapse does not occur when the system
> is so large with such low density that water forms isolated vapour
> droplets that do not interact with each other by LJ interactions. Sure,
> it is expected to collapse eventually from the 1 atm pressure coupling,
> and we have also observed that high pressure works, but at 1 atm it
> might take a very long time to reach equilibrium.
>
> I agree with Andre that none of this matters to regular simulations as
> there is no good reason to go through this type of state when one wants
> to simulate dense liquids. I just found it curious that Berendsen
> pressure coupling at 1 atm was not sufficient to quickly equilibrate the
> volume in a system where the vacuum regions are large in comparison to
> the LJ cutoffs.
>
> Chris.

!!!! new E-mail address: patrick.fuchs at univ-paris-diderot.fr !!!!
Patrick FUCHS
Dynamique des Structures et Interactions des Macromolécules Biologiques
INTS, INSERM UMR-S665, Université Paris Diderot,
6 rue Alexandre Cabanel, 75015 Paris
Tel : +33 (0)1-44-49-30-57 - Fax : +33 (0)1-47-34-74-31
Web Site: http://www.dsimb.inserm.fr/~fuchs