[gmx-users] problem during Energy minimization

Parul tew parultew at gmail.com
Sat May 21 12:49:25 CEST 2011

Dear GMX users,

 I am facing problem while doing energy minimization before the molecular
dynamic simulation step of a system consisting of protein, membrane, water
and 14 ions.

The minim.mdp file is as follows

; minim.mdp - used as input into grompp to generate em.tpr

; Parameters describing what to do, when to stop and what to save

integrator         = steep             ; Algorithm (steep = steepest descent
minimization)

emtol               = 1000.0          ; Stop minimization when the maximum
force < 1000.0 kJ/mol/nm

emstep      = 0.01      ; Energy step size

nsteps              = 50000                       ; Maximum number of
(minimization) steps to perform

; Parameters describing how to find the neighbors of each atom and how to
calculate the interactions

nstlist               = 1                     ; Frequency to update the
neighbor list and long range forces

ns_type                        = grid  ; Method to determine neighbor list
(simple, grid)

rlist                  = 1.2                    ; Cut-off for making
neighbor list (short range forces)

coulombtype   = PME             ; Treatment of long range electrostatic
interactions

rcoulomb         = 1.2                ; Short-range electrostatic cut-off

rvdw                = 1.2                ; Short-range Van der Waals cut-off

pbc                  = xyz               ; Periodic Boundary Conditions

*
*

when I run this using the command

* *

*grompp –f minim.mdp –c system_sol_ions.gro -p topol.top –o em.tpr *

 then I invoked mdrun which gave following error

Reading file topol.tpr, VERSION 4.0.7 (single precision)

Loaded with Money

Steepest Descents:

   Tolerance (Fmax)   =  1.00000e+03

   Number of steps    =        50000

Step=   14, Dmax= 1.2e-06 nm, Epot=  3.03531e+22 Fmax=         inf, atom=
1417

Stepsize too small, or no change in energy.

Converged to machine precision,

but not to the requested precision Fmax < 1000

Double precision normally gives you higher accuracy.

You might need to increase your constraint accuracy, or turn

off constraints alltogether (set constraints = none in mdp file)

writing lowest energy coordinates.

Steepest Descents converged to machine precision in 15 steps,

but did not reach the requested Fmax < 1000.

Potential Energy  =  3.0353124e+22

Maximum force     =            inf on atom 1417

Norm of force     =            inf

After this I changed the

emstep      = 0.1      ; Energy step size

nsteps          = 5000  ; Maximum number of (minimization) steps to perform

constraints     = none

After these changes the no of steps increased to 18 but still the system did
not converge and potential energy is very high

Reading file em.tpr, VERSION 4.0.7 (single precision)

Loaded with Money

Steepest Descents:

   Tolerance (Fmax)   =  1.00000e+03

   Number of steps    =         5000

Step=   17, Dmax= 1.5e-06 nm, Epot=  3.03531e+22 Fmax=         inf, atom=
1417

Stepsize too small, or no change in energy.

Converged to machine precision,

but not to the requested precision Fmax < 1000

Double precision normally gives you higher accuracy.

You might need to increase your constraint accuracy, or turn

off constraints alltogether (set constraints = none in mdp file)

writing lowest energy coordinates.

Steepest Descents converged to machine precision in 18 steps,

but did not reach the requested Fmax < 1000.

Potential Energy  =  3.0353124e+22

Maximum force     =            inf on atom 1417

Norm of force     =            inf

What changes can I do in my minim.mdp file to converge my system and get a
negative value of Epot.

The topol.top file looks

[ system ]

; Name