[gmx-users] problem during energy minimization before MD

Itamar Kass (Med) itamar.kass at monash.edu
Sun May 22 00:52:03 CEST 2011

Hi Parul,

First, what you get is not an error, it just says that your system can not
be minimised. Still, the high energy out of the EM might indicate a problem
in your system. Try to find and overlap between the protein and the
membrane, maybe you have a traped lipid molecule somewhere in your system.

All the best,
Itamar.

On 21 May 2011 20:47, Parul tew <parultew at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>
> coulombtype   = PME             ; Treatment of long range electrostatic
> interactions
>
> rcoulomb         = 1.2                ; Short-range electrostatic cut-off
>
> rvdw                = 1.2                ; Short-range Van der Waals
> cut-off
>
> pbc                  = xyz               ; Periodic Boundary Conditions
>
> *
> *
>
> when I run this using the command
>
> * *
>
> *grompp –f minim_1.mdp –c system_inflated.gro topol.top –o em.tpr *
>

>  then I invoked mdrun which gave following error

> Reading file topol.tpr, VERSION 4.0.7 (single precision)
>
> Loaded with Money
>

> Steepest Descents:
>
>    Tolerance (Fmax)   =  1.00000e+03
>
>    Number of steps    =        50000
>
> Step=   14, Dmax= 1.2e-06 nm, Epot=  3.03531e+22 Fmax=         inf, atom=
> 1417
>
> Stepsize too small, or no change in energy.
>
> Converged to machine precision,
>
> but not to the requested precision Fmax < 1000
>

> Double precision normally gives you higher accuracy.
>
> You might need to increase your constraint accuracy, or turn
>
> off constraints alltogether (set constraints = none in mdp file)
>

> writing lowest energy coordinates.
>

> Steepest Descents converged to machine precision in 15 steps,
>
> but did not reach the requested Fmax < 1000.
>
> Potential Energy  =  3.0353124e+22
>
> Maximum force     =            inf on atom 1417
>
> Norm of force     =            inf

> After this I changed the
>
> emstep      = 0.1      ; Energy step size
>
> nsteps          = 5000  ; Maximum number of (minimization) steps to
> perform
>
> constraints     = none
>
> After these changes the no of steps increased to 18 but still the system
> did not converge and potential energy is very high

> Reading file em.tpr, VERSION 4.0.7 (single precision)
>
> Loaded with Money
>

> Steepest Descents:
>
>    Tolerance (Fmax)   =  1.00000e+03
>
>    Number of steps    =         5000
>
> Step=   17, Dmax= 1.5e-06 nm, Epot=  3.03531e+22 Fmax=         inf, atom=
> 1417
>
> Stepsize too small, or no change in energy.
>
> Converged to machine precision,
>
> but not to the requested precision Fmax < 1000
>

> Double precision normally gives you higher accuracy.
>
> You might need to increase your constraint accuracy, or turn
>
> off constraints alltogether (set constraints = none in mdp file)
>

> writing lowest energy coordinates.
>

> Steepest Descents converged to machine precision in 18 steps,
>
> but did not reach the requested Fmax < 1000.
>
> Potential Energy  =  3.0353124e+22
>
> Maximum force     =            inf on atom 1417
>
> Norm of force     =            inf

> What changes can I do in my minim.mdp file to converge my system and get a

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in
practice, there is." - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut