[gmx-users] Rg

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue May 24 20:18:24 CEST 2011

simon sham wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a question of using Radius of Gyration to analyze my simulation
> data for a protein at a temperature that it would unfold.
> My understanding is that when a protein in an unfolded state, it still
> have some structure and is not a random coil. So, my question is:
> Will the Rg value for a unfolded protein be completely different from
> that of folded one?

In general, probably.  It depends entirely upon what the "unfolded" state is for
the protein in question - is it elongated, with little secondary structure, or
does it collapse into a disordered globule that doesn't resemble the native
state?  If the latter, then Rg can be misleading.  At extremely high
temperature, though, I would expect just about any protein to be very elongated,
unless it has lots of disulfides to keep it compact.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee