[gmx-users] Grompp error on index file

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue May 31 04:25:32 CEST 2011

Mr Bernard Ramos wrote:
> Hi Justin,
>
> Thanks for the immediate response. I apologize but I don't have with me
> the mdp and the top files at the moment. But I will have it e-mailed
> once I get back to my working gromacs computer.
>
> Yes, as I remember, the [moleculetype] at the bottom of the topol.top
> was able to identify it as a carbohydrate. In fact, the index.file
> identified it as a carbohydrate. I borrowed the nvt.mdp from the
> Lysozyme tutorial authored by you. Thanks.

Then that may be your problem.  What's in your system?  Do you have any protein?
  If you don't, then you can't specify "protein" in the .mdp file.  The problem
is not the index file, it's the .mdp file.  In some cases, the error message
gives you the wrong impression; it really means that a group in the .mdp file
does not exist.  In most cases, that means you need to create an index group to
accommodate the system.  In other cases, it means you're using a group that is
simply not applicable.

-Justin

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate