[gmx-users] Poor exchange probability for REMD

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sun Nov 20 07:04:21 CET 2011

On 2011-11-20 03:03, ÏéÇ« ¿× wrote:
> Dear Mark,
>    Thanks for your prompt reply!
>> Pre-equilibration at the right temperature is always a good
>> idea, not just for REMD.
>
>    Right temperature? I guess you mean pre-equilibrate at every replica temperatures, do you think so?
>
>> However for NVT REMD you need to
>> equilibrate the other temperatures at the same box size that
>> is sound for the temperature at which you want to make
>> observations.
>
>    If i am interested in the properties at 3OOK, i may equilibrate the system at 300K with NPT ensemble, then equilibrate system at every replica temperatures with the same box size obtained from the NPT simulation at 300K.Is it right?

Why would you want to simulate at high pressure and high temperature?
Your proteins will unfold even faster. NVT REMD means your replicas
above 300 K will have too high P, at 360 K close to 1000 bar. Check
http://folding.bmc.uu.se/remd/index.php if you need to choose T for
REMD. The paper that describes the algorithm was published here:
http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/b716554d

>> Even given that, there is no strong reason to suppose that
>> a temperature distribution following a simple mathematical
>> formula should lead to equal exchange probabilities on a
>> "real" system with free energy bottlenecks. Knowing that one
>> might need to be adding more replicas at relevant
>> temperatures is something that can only be determined
>> empirically - and probably from more than 2ns.
>
>     Yes, that's right! While the exchange probabilities were unequal for neighboring temperatures and maybe very high (0.3~0.4), i think i should remove some replicas at which the exchange probabilities were higher and add some replicas to increase the upper limit of the temperature range for REMD.
>     Meanwhile, anther question, what's the proper range for the exchange probability?  Does the high exchange probability impair the properties we want to observe or just a waste of computational resources?
>     Best regards!
>     Xiangqian Kong

Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden. Phone:	+46184714205.