[gmx-users] Poor exchange probability for REMD

Ben Reynwar ben at reynwar.net
Mon Nov 21 20:17:56 CET 2011

The exchange probability will just effect the computational
efficiency.  It's entirely possible that it won't even effect that,
since the dynamics of the replica flow up and down the temperature
range may be limited by the dynamics of your protein rather than the
exchange frequency and probabilities.  Most likely, you have bigger
things to worry about than exchange probabilities.

Things I would start by doing are:

Do a decently long non-REMD simulation of the protein at the high end
of the temperature range.  Inspect the trajectory visually to make
sure that it is is sampling the configuration space you are interested
in.  If it's unfolding too much, it's going to be tough to find the
global minimum again, but if it's not unfolding enough then you might
not sample what you want to.  There is no guarantee that there even
exists an upper temperature that will work.

Look at the rates of replica movement up and down the temperature
ladder.  How long does it takes replicas to move all the way from the
bottom to the top.  You want your total simulation time to be
considerably longer than that.  Will that be feasible?

Cheers,
Ben