[gmx-users] Reproducable MD runs on two PCs

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Sun Nov 20 10:16:46 CET 2011

On 20/11/2011 7:31 PM, Igor Druz wrote:
> I recompiled gromacs, lam, fftw3 on both PCs with the same version of
> intel compilers (before they were different, v. 10 & 12), set
> gen_vel=no and optimize_fft=no.
> With these changes I am getting agreement between two PCs within ~5%
> (was ~20% before). Ignore the nsteps value from the pasted mdp file.
> The actual run with ~20% difference was for the 30 ns run.
> I will test longer runs.
> Is there anything else to consider for better reproducability on two
> PCs? Hardware is the same, but OSes are RedHat and OpenSuse.

So far, you don't even know that the variation attributable to the
difference in machines is significant compared to the intrinsic
variation observed over replicates of the same kind of simulation on the
same machine (e.g. different starting velocities). It's just not worth
doing the work to study those effects...

Mark