[gmx-users] Rv: g_helixorient question

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Nov 22 13:00:04 CET 2011

On 22/11/2011 10:41 PM, Javier Romero Garcia wrote:
> Hi, I'm sorry to insist in my question but if somebody could answer or
> just to send me some information or place to look for, I will be very
> thanked.

I imagine that these kinds of definitions are discussed in general texts
on (computational or experimental) modelling of proteins, so that may be
a good place to start with understanding what g_helixorient might be
calculating.

> GROMACS manual does not give any information but the way to use it.
> Nothing about the contain of files.

g_helixorient -h has some very basic information that could help.
Otherwise, I'm sure the GROMACS team regret that the documentation is a
bit lacking. Please do remember that GROMACS is a volunteer effort.
Because our resources are finite, it won't always be able to be what we
would all like it to be. The existence of the g_helixorient tool is
already rather more than you paid for, too ;-). Do consider using other
simulation packages' analysis tool sets - often trajectories can be
inter-converted with little fuss. In extremis, please consider reading
the code of src/tools/gmx_helixorient.c - but you'll need to be unafraid
of the mathematics of 3D rotation!

Mark