[gmx-users] gromacs 4.5.3 and GCC 4.1.x

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Nov 24 00:58:40 CET 2011

Efrat Exlrod wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I want to install standard gromacs 4.5.5 on a new linux machine, prior
> to installing GPU accelerated gromacs. Looking at the installation
> instructions I see you recommend not to use GCC 4.1.x series of compilers.
>

> A year ago I have installed gromacs 4.5.3 and I don't recall seeing the
> recommendation of not using the GCC 4.1.x compilers. The gcc version of

The warning about the gcc compilers has been on the website for several years.

> the computer on which I installed is:
>
> /usr/bin/gcc -v ==> /u/gcc version 4.1.2 20080704 (Red Hat 4.1.2-51).
>

> Is there also a problem with gromacs 4.5.3 and GCC 4.1.x? Was I supposed
> to have trouble installing or running?

As I recall, the bug was in gcc and it led to various random failures of
different tools.  Perhaps others with more knowledge of the compilers themselves
can comment.  Upgrading gcc is a good idea; the 4.1.x is quite outdated.

> Is it possible I was able to compile and run but I can't rely on the
> results I got?

Possible.  More likely you would get random instability rather than some hidden
inaccuracy.

-Justin

> Thanks, Efrat

Justin A. Lemkul