[gmx-users] gromacs 4.5.3 and GCC 4.1.x

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Sun Nov 27 18:56:32 CET 2011

Hi,

I don't remember any incident related to tools crashing, but I do
recall a problem which initially was attributed to a known gcc 4.1 bug
(http://redmine.gromacs.org/issues/431), but it turned out to be a GB
bug.

However, knowing that there is such a nasty bug in gcc 4.1, we thought
it's better to discourage this compiler version.

Moreover, with gcc 4.1 you are wasting a serious amount of performance
compared to 4.5 or 4.6.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd