[gmx-users] Using tables to construct a z-dependent 12-3 potential

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sat Nov 26 22:08:29 CET 2011

On 2011-11-26 21:01, Olivia Waring wrote:
> [...]
> dt              = 0.002         ; 2 fs
> ; Output control
> nstxout         = 1000          ; save coordinates every 2 ps
> nstvout         = 1000          ; save velocities every 2 ps
> nstxtcout       = 1000          ; xtc compressed trajectory output every
> 2 ps
> nstenergy       = 1000          ; save energies every 2 ps
> nstlog          = 1000          ; update log file every 2 ps
> energygrps      = CH3 CH2 S wall0
> energygrp_table = CH3 wall0 CH2 wall0 S wall0
> ; Bond parameters
> continuation    = yes           ; Restarting after NPT
> constraint_algorithm = lincs    ; holonomic constraints
> constraints     = all-bonds     ; all bonds (even heavy atom-H bonds)
> constrained
> lincs_iter      = 1             ; accuracy of LINCS
> lincs_order     = 4             ; also related to accuracy
> ; Neighborsearching
> ns_type         = grid          ; search neighboring grid cells
> nstlist         = 5             ; 10 fs
> rlist           = 1.0           ; short-range neighborlist cutoff (in nm)
> coulombtype     = Cutoff
> rcoulomb        = 1.0           ; short-range electrostatic cutoff (in nm)
> vdwtype         = User
> rvdw            = 1.0           ; short-range van der Waals cutoff (in nm)
> ; Electrostatics
> pme_order       = 4             ; cubic interpolation
> fourierspacing  = 0.16          ; grid spacing for FFT
> ; Temperature coupling is on
> tcoupl          = V-rescale     ; modified Berendsen thermostat
> tc-grps         = System        ; two coupling groups - more accurate
> tau_t           = 0.1           ; time constant, in ps
> ref_t           = 300           ; reference temperature, one for each
> group, in K
> ; Pressure coupling is off
> pcoupl          = no            ; Pressure coupling on in NPT
> ; Periodic boundary conditions
> pbc             = xy            ; 3-D PBC
> ; Dispersion correction
> DispCorr        = no            ; account for cut-off vdW scheme
> ; Walls
> nwall           = 1
> wall_type       = table
> wall_atomtype   = wall0
> ; Velocity generation
> gen_vel         = no            ; Velocity generation is off
>
> I've defined three energy groups in my system (CH3, CH2, and S), and I
> have built the following three energy group tables:
>     table_CH3_wall0.xvg
>     table_CH2_wall0.xvg
>     table_S_wall0.xvg
> I'm not sure whether I should list wall0 among the [ atomtypes ]... When
> I do, grompp complains about wall0 not being found in the index file. I
> could add it, but since wall0 doesn't correspond to any actual atoms in
> my system, I'm not exactly sure how to proceed.
>
> In summary, I'm confused as to how to combine the concepts of energy
> groups and walls when using potential tables.

I think you have to select a wall_atomtype that is a true atomtype in
your force field, since it uses this for the force field parameter.
Please check the manual again, I've never used this feature myself, but
I would guess that all atoms interact with the wall through the table
where a combination rule is used to get the parameters. This could be
nonsense though...
If all else fail grep for wall in the source code :).