[gmx-users] Forcefield for Lipids

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Oct 6 13:48:05 CEST 2011

Saumya wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to simulate the DMPC Lipid Bilayer with water molecules. I
> am using Charmm27 forcefield for that. I obtain the starting structure
> from Charmm-GUI. The pdb file that I obtain has "DMPC" as the residue
> name for the lipid molecules. I checked the "lipid.rtp" file in Charmm27
> and it has DMPC in the list of lipids. But, when I generate the topology
> using pdb2gmx, it says that it does not recognize the the DMPC residue.

Please copy and paste the exact error message.

> Therefore, the resulting topology file does not include any information
> about the lipids and only states the solvent information.
> How can I generate a topology that will include the DMPC lipids too and
> what residues name is recognized by Gromacs for the DMPC lipid?

Without seeing the error, it's hard to say.  Also note that pdb2gmx is not
typically used for many-molecule systems like bilayers.  You'll get a redundant
topology that is not wrong, but will be very cumbersome to use and understand.

The better approach is to:

1. Isolate a single DMPC lipid from your .pdb file
2. Run pdb2gmx on this single lipid
3. Modify the resulting .top into a .itp file (see
http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/File_Formats/.itp_File)
4. Construct a simple topology, i.e.:

#include "charmm27.ff/forcefield.itp"
#include "dmpc.itp"