[gmx-users] error while energy minimization with the protein fixed

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Oct 6 14:57:33 CEST 2011

prakash verma wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> while energy minimization with the protein fixed i am getting following
> error:
>

> *t = 0.011 ps: Water molecule starting at atom 21089 can not be settled.
> Check for bad contacts and/or reduce the timestep.*
> Even if i am reducing timesteps its not working.
> The minim.mdp file which i have used is:;
>

> ntegrator      = steep         ; Algorithm (steep = steepest descent
> minimization)
> emtol           = 1000          ; Stop minimization when the maximum
> force < 1000.0 kJ/mol/nm
> dt              = 0.01
> emstep          = 0.01          ; Energy step size
> nsteps          = 20000         ; Maximum number of (minimization) steps
> to perform
>
> constraints     =  all-bonds    ; convert all bond to constraints
> ; Parameters describing how to find the neighbors of each atom and how
> to calculate the interactions
> nstlist         = 5             ; Frequency to update the neighbor list
> and long range forces
> ns_type         = grid          ; Method to determine neighbor list
> (simple, grid)
> rlist           = 1             ; Cut-off for making neighbor list
> (short range forces)
> coulombtype     = PME           ; Treatment of long range electrostatic
> interactions
> rcoulomb        = 1             ; Short-range electrostatic cut-off
> rvdw            = 1             ; Short-range Van der Waals cut-off
> pbc             = xyz           ; Periodic Boundary Conditions (yes/no)
> optimize_fft             = yes
> pme_order                = 4
> fourierspacing           = 0.15
> ; Non-equilibrium MD stuff
> freezegrps               = Protein Sol
> freezedim                = Y Y Y   N N N

By freezing the protein, you are probably preventing a bad contact (or more than
just one) from being resolved.  Any particular reason you're freezing the
protein during EM?  Seems self-defeating to me.

Open the structure in your favorite visualization program, see where the
problematic water molecule is, and try to identify what it is clashing with.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee