[gmx-users] vdwtype = cut-off

Mark Abraham mark.abraham at anu.edu.au
Tue Oct 11 12:50:58 CEST 2011

On 11/10/11, Carla Jamous  <carlajamous at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I ran my simulations with these parameters:
>
> nstlist             =  10
> ns_type             =  grid
> rlist               =  0.9
> coulombtype         =  PME
> rcoulomb            =  0.9
> vdwtype             =  cut-off
>
> rvdw                =  1.2
>
> Apparently, in Gromacs, when using vdwtype =  cut-off,
>

> 	pre.cjk { font-family: "DejaVu Sans",monospace; }p { margin-bottom: 0.21cm; }the potential changes discontinuously.

The potential as a function of distance between any pair of atoms is discontinuous at the cutoff.

>  However, I have a constant LJ(SR) energy and a constant LJ(LR) energy,

So your particle density is nearly constant. Particles moving inside the cutoff balance those moving outside the cutoff. A changing value should indicate lack of equilibrium, not whether the cut-off is a significant source of error.

> although I didn't use either Switch or Shift. Please can anyone explain how does the cut-off really works in Gromacs and whether my simulations are correct or not?

Please see the discussions in the manual for theory. Probably the simulations are fine.

Mark