[gmx-users] H-bond lifetime with g_hbond

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Oct 11 16:25:32 CEST 2011

Anna Marabotti wrote:
> Dear gmx-users,
> I have a protein with 5 different ligands. For each system I made 30ns
> simulation and I calculated the lifetime of the H-bonds between protein
> and ligand with the command:
>
> g_hbond -f traj.xtc -s topol.tpr -hbm hbmap.xpm -hbn hbond.ndx -ac
> hbac.xvg -life hblife.xvg
>
> During all calculations, the printout of the command gave the same warning:
>

> WARNING: Correlation function is probably not long enough
>
> because the standard deviation in the tail of C(t) > 0.001
>

> and as a matter of fact, the tail of C(t) (average C(t) over second half
> of acf) reported below this warning was always > 0.001, generally
> comprised between 0.45 and 0.74 with two exceptions: a value of
> 0.02+/-0.03 and a value of 0.04+/-0.01.

The warning doesn't complain about the value of C(t), it is telling you that the
standard deviation in the value is unacceptable.

> Therefore, I'm asking if the forward values considered as lifetimes are
> reliable or not, and in case, what can I do to avoid this warning.

I can't directly comment on this, but it would seems as if the values are not
adequately converged.

-Justin

> Thank you very much and best regards
>
> Anna

> Anna Marabotti, Ph.D.
> Laboratory of Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
> Institute of Food Science, CNR
> Via Roma, 64
> 83100 Avellino (Italy)
> Phone: +39 0825 299651
> Fax: +39 0825 781585
> Email: anna.marabotti at isa.cnr.it <mailto:anna.marabotti at isa.cnr.it>
> Skype account: annam1972
> Web page: http://bioinformatica.isa.cnr.it/anna/anna.htm
>
> "When a man with a gun meets a man with a pen, the man with a gun is a
> dead man"
> (Roberto Benigni, about Roberto Saviano)

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee