[gmx-users] Gromacs: Cloud Vs. Boinc Server?

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Tue Oct 11 22:05:27 CEST 2011

Hi Gregory,

I am not very familiar with the could computing offerings, but as far
as I know, in general they are not a very cheap solution when it comes
to relatively low usage (non massive enterprise use).

If you would need it only for you own research, you might be better
off with applying for a grant to get cluster time at a compute center.

Alternatively, as the next Gromacs version will support GPU
acceleration and will have quite with decent performance, you could
consider investing in multi-GPU box with GeForce cards. Of course,
this is feasible only if you don't mind the maintenance overhead and
costs.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd