[gmx-users] R: Re: H-bond lifetime with g_hbond

Anna Marabotti anna.marabotti at isa.cnr.it
Wed Oct 12 12:09:09 CEST 2011

Dear all,
any other suggestions on how to operate with g_hbond in order to allow
convergence of the autocorrelation function (see message below)?

Moreover, I have another question. On the same trajectories, I'm using
g_hbonds also to infer the contacts between the protein and the ligand (and
possibly infer van der Waals interactions). This is the command I used:

g_hbond -f protein-GLA_mdC.xtc -s protein-GLA_md.tpr -g
protein-GLA_md_vdw.log -contact -r 1.4 -num protein-GLA_md_vdwnum.xvg

The printout of the command is:

Select a group: 1
Selected 1: 'Protein'
Select a group: 15
Selected 15: 'GLA'
Checking for overlap in atoms between Protein and GLA
Calculating contacts between Protein (5935 atoms) and GLA (24 atoms)
Found 24 donors and 5935 acceptors
Making hbmap structure...done.
Reading frame       0 time    0.000
Will do grid-seach on 6x6x4 grid, rcut=1.4
Last frame       3000 time 30000.000
Found 38017 different contacts in trajectory
Found 0 different atom-pairs within hydrogen bonding distance
Average number of contacts per timeframe 0.000 out of 71220 possible

However, the .log file gives me a list of interactions such as:
#      Donor      Hydrogen      Acceptor
  GLA395O4       PRO35O
  GLA395O4       GLY36N
  GLA395O4       GLY36CA
  GLA395O4       GLY36HA1
  GLA395O4       GLY36HA2
  GLA395O4       GLY36C
  GLA395O4       GLY36O
  GLA395O4       ARG37N
  GLA395O4       ARG37H

Moreover, I found previously several hBonds in this trajectory, therefore, I
don't understand why the printout tells "Found 0 different atom-pairs within
hydrogen bonding distance" and "Average number of contacts per timeframe
0.000 out of 71220 possible". I also used flag -r2 instead of -r, but the
result is the same. Maybe this is a trivial question, but...what is the
correct way to use the flags -contact and -r (or -r2) within g_hbond
command?

Thanks a lot
Anna

Message: 1