[gmx-users] Pressure very high with chloroform and gromacs-4.5.5

Nuno Azoia nazoia at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 15:35:49 CEST 2011

I know that from the beginning. That's why I found very strange the
increasing on the system volume. My initial setup have a density of
~400g/L, and for liquid chloroform is ~1400g/L.
Using gromacs-4.5 I get densities of about 200 after 750ps simulation
time, and using 4.0 I get almost 500 after 1ns.

And I was using such low densities because I build the box using
genconf with the options -nbox and -dist, starting with one molecule
of chloroform. If I used small distance values I get LINCS warnings in
the energy minimization step. Using genbox to solvate one empty box
with chloroform, I get very strange behaviors, with a very large
amount of molecule overlap.

But as you said before, I now think that this should be also a
paralelization problem, not to mention the numerical instability
caused by this very low density.
And I think this is a paralelization problem associated with this
numerical instability judging from the system behavior.
In 4.5, using the option -nt in mdrun, I get some small droplets of
liquid chloroform, and in 4.0, using mpi, I get one large droplet of
chloroform. It looks like if 4.5 is treating the system like
independent small systems, while 4.0 is able to divide the system into
small, but interdependent systems.