[gmx-users] Peturbing a Dihedral for FEP

Fabian Casteblanco fabian.casteblanco at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 22:37:48 CEST 2011

Hello all,

 It seems I'm still getting errors when doing a FEP on a molecule (a
 -CH3 to a -H).  This below is for when I was charging things from a -H
 uncharged to -H charged, although it also happens when I'm actually
 converting the -CH3 to -H (at Lambdas greater than 85%).  I made sure
 to keep the charges balanced at 0 while mutating and I did it at 3
 steps like Michael Shirts suggested.

 Set 1: turn R-CH3 charges off in a way that preserves the total charge.
 Set 2: change CH3 LJ to H LJ
 Set 3: Turn R-H charges on in a way that preserves the total charge.

 In the portion of the error below atom 9 is -C9-(H67,H68,H66) which in
 this specific case H67 is already a dummy molecule with no mass or
 charge.  From what I can see, it seems that the atoms do not know how
 to treat the dummy molecules in terms of angles.  How should I treat
 the dummy molecules? Should I be treating them like hollow spheres
 with no charge so I would assign them angle constraints?

 I think it can also be that I'm peturbing the dihedral angles
 incorrectly.  I received errors at first saying that dihedral
 multiplicities can't be peturbed so I had to equal the multiplicities
 just to get it to run.  Does anybody have any experience with this?

 Thank you for your help.

 -Fabian Casteblanco

 Portion of Error Output:
 Reading file nvt0.5.tpr, VERSION 4.5.3 (single precision)
 starting mdrun 'SIMVASTATIN'
 150000 steps,    300.0 ps.

 Step 7, time 0.014 (ps)  LINCS WARNING
 relative constraint deviation after LINCS:
 rms 0.006111, max 0.139443 (between atoms 9 and 67)
 bonds that rotated more than 30 degrees:
  atom 1 atom 2  angle  previous, current, constraint length

 Step 8, time 0.016 (ps)  LINCS WARNING
 relative constraint deviation after LINCS:
 rms 0.007341, max 0.167622 (between atoms 9 and 67)
 bonds that rotated more than 30 degrees:
  atom 1 atom 2  angle  previous, current, constraint length

 Step 8, time 0.016 (ps)  LINCS WARNING
 relative constraint deviation after LINCS:
 rms 0.008771, max 0.201182 (between atoms 9 and 67)

E:  fabian.casteblanco at gmail.com