[gmx-users] mktop

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Thu Oct 13 02:51:25 CEST 2011

ram bio wrote:
> Dear Justin,
>
> Thanks, and I accept your suggestions;
>
> If SwissParam was designed to be used with CHARMM, the most intuitive
> next step is to use CHARMM for the MD, is it not?I understand the point
> about trying to keep the force fields consistent between docking and MD,
> but it may not be feasible (i.e., there may not be suitable parameters
> in OPLS for the bizarre functional groups you're dealing with).
>
> Yes, I also tried CHARMM FF to generate the topology file of the protein
> using pdb2gmx (without ligand), and as per the swissparam and gromacs
> tutorial i could build the protein-ligand-lipid bilayer and minimize it
> using mdrun and and i am at the NPT equilibration step, everything is ok
> with this procedure and without errors, but my lipid bilayer is made up
> of POPC and the POPC itp file has OPLS FF topologies. So, i was
> wondering whether the POPC itp file i am using for MD simulations can be
> used with the protein and ligand topology file generated by CHARMM.

You shouldn't mix and match force fields.  Suitable CHARMM lipid parameters are
widely available.

> and as per the swissparam tutorial the command to generate topology file
> for protein is:
>
>  pdb2gmx -f protein.pdb -ff charmm27 -water tip3p -ignh -o conf.pdb -nochargegrp
>

> in the gromacs 4.5.4 version the option to select Charmm FF from the
> pdb2gmx command is available, but i could not understand the usage of
> -nochargegp flag as per the tutorial, is this flag still valid while
> generating toplogies.

CHARMM does not use charge groups.  Therefore, each atom should be its own
"group" in the topology.  Using -nochargegrp overrides the default behavior of
the .rtp files (which has multi-atom charge groups, although I think this was
changed somewhere along the way, but I don't remember if it was before or after
4.5.4).

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar