[gmx-users] using gromacs with an specific GCC

Szilárd Páll szilard.pall at cbr.su.se
Thu Oct 13 03:26:03 CEST 2011

Hi Nathalia,

Right, gcc 4.1 is quite controversial as these is bug in it which is
though to be causing mdrun crashes. So you better stay away from 4.1
as well as from other old gcc versions. I'd recommend 4.5 or 4.6 as
these have gotten really good, even compared to icc - at least when it
comes to Gromacs performance. I'd especially recommend 4.6 if you're
using Nehalem CPUs (with the -mtune/-march=corei7 flag).

Compiling gcc is rather straightforward and there are plenty of guide online.

When it comes to running binaries, depending on where you install the
new gcc you might have to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to contain the
custom gcc installation's lib directory before the standard lib path.
This is of course unless you link statically against standard
libraries.

Cheers,
--
Szilárd