[gmx-users] pdb2gmx charmm topology lipid

ram bio rmbio861 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 21:51:51 CEST 2011

Dear Justin,

Thanks for the suggestions.

> The lipids are built into the CHARMM27 implementation in Gromacs.  You can
> generate their topology with pdb2gmx.  Run pdb2gmx on a single lipid,
> convert it to an .itp file, and #include it in the topology.

I separated out one lipid from the POPC bilayer (250 lipids) i am
having (attached -popc.pdb) and modified (popcatomtype.pdb) the atom
names as per the
/usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/charmm27.ff/lipids.rtp file. Then
i executed

pdb2gmx -f popcatomtype.pdb -o popcatom.gro

choosing option 8 for Charmm ff
&1 for water model

but, i am getting an error as below:

Opening force field file
/usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/charmm27.ff/aminoacids.r2b
Opening force field file
/usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/charmm27.ff/rna.r2b
Reading popcatomtype.pdb...
Read 52 atoms
Analyzing pdb file
Splitting PDB chains based on TER records or changing chain id.
There are 1 chains and 0 blocks of water and 0 residues with 52 atoms

  chain  #res #atoms
  1 'C'     1     52

WARNING: there were 0 atoms with zero occupancy and 52 atoms with
         occupancy unequal to one (out of 52 atoms). Check your pdb file.

Opening force field file
/usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/charmm27.ff/atomtypes.atp
Atomtype 1
Reading residue database... (charmm27)
Opening force field file
/usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/charmm27.ff/aminoacids.rtp
Residue 41
Sorting it all out...
Opening force field file
/usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/charmm27.ff/dna.rtp
Residue 45
Sorting it all out...
Opening force field file
/usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/charmm27.ff/lipids.rtp
Residue 57
Sorting it all out...
Opening force field file
/usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/charmm27.ff/rna.rtp
Residue 61
Sorting it all out...
Opening force field file
/usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/charmm27.ff/aminoacids.hdb
Opening force field file
/usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/charmm27.ff/dna.hdb
Opening force field file
/usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/charmm27.ff/lipids.hdb
Opening force field file
/usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/charmm27.ff/rna.hdb
Opening force field file
/usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/charmm27.ff/aminoacids.n.tdb
Opening force field file
/usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/charmm27.ff/dna.n.tdb
Opening force field file
/usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/charmm27.ff/rna.n.tdb
Opening force field file
/usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/charmm27.ff/aminoacids.c.tdb
Opening force field file
/usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/charmm27.ff/dna.c.tdb
Opening force field file
/usr/local/gromacs/share/gromacs/top/charmm27.ff/rna.c.tdb

Back Off! I just backed up topol.top to ./#topol.top.30#
Processing chain 1 'C' (52 atoms, 1 residues)
There are 1 donors and 0 acceptors
There are 0 hydrogen bonds
Warning: Starting residue POP0 in chain not identified as Protein/RNA/DNA.
Problem with chain definition, or missing terminal residues.
This chain does not appear to contain a recognized chain molecule.
If this is incorrect, you can edit residuetypes.dat to modify the behavior.
8 out of 8 lines of specbond.dat converted successfully

Program pdb2gmx, VERSION 4.5.4
Source code file: resall.c, line: 581

Fatal error:
Residue 'POP' not found in residue topology database

Please let me know your suggestions to fix this error.

Thanks,

Pramod