[gmx-users] Simulation of membrane protein

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sun Oct 16 13:41:14 CEST 2011

James Starlight wrote:
> Justin, hello!
>
> In the algorthm presented in the tutorial there is one inconvenience
> that is many iterations of the shrinking/minimization of the protein (
> e.g if i'd like to obrain good value for S per lipid for my structure).
> Is there any way to make this process automated ? ( e.g some program
> wich could do all of those operations untill defined value for some
> magnitudes would be reached )

Sure, you could do all of it within a shell script that loops the commands and
checks the printed output.

> Also I'd like to ask about g_membed. As I've understood for that program
> I need in merged pdb struture ( consist of my peptide inserted in the
> membrane ) as well as merged topology. Is there any way to prepare this
> data exept the way presented in your tutorial ?
> (http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/membrane_protein/03_solvate.html
> )

That's what you obtain when concatenating the protein and membrane coordinate
files in my tutorial, prior to any inflation.  You'd just have to add whatever
molecules are present in the [molecules] directive of the .top at that point.

> E.g I've heard that this could also be done via PyMol. Where I could
> find example of such preparation ?

I don't know of one.

-Justin

> Thanks for your help,
> James
>
> 2011/10/15 Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu>>
>

>     James Starlight wrote:
>
>         Dear Gromacs's users!
>

>         I'd like to simulate some membrane proteins in their native
>         environment.
>
>         Recently I've found a good tutotial of the same simulation of
>         the KALP peptide in DPPC membrane
>         (http://www.bevanlab.biochem.__vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/__gmx-tutorials/membrane___protein/index.html
>         <http://www.bevanlab.biochem.vt.edu/Pages/Personal/justin/gmx-tutorials/membrane_protein/index.html>).
>
>         Is there  someone who have also tried to make thit tutorial ?
>

>     Yes, per our server logs, several hundred people have :)
>

>         First of all its very intresting for me the positioning of the
>         protein in the membrane via specific  perl script called
>         infrategro. What values for the cutoff radius as well as
>         measurements of  the area per lipid  are most adequate for
>         different membrane proteins?
>

>     The ones given in the tutorial work quite well.  They are the
>     defaults suggested by the developers of InflateGRO.
>

>         Could you also tell me some alternative ways of full algorithm
>         of the protein insertion in the membrane?
>

>     Careful use of genbox (but will require significantly more
>     equilibration as there will be large gaps), or g_membed.
>
>     -Justin
>
>     --
>     ==============================__==========
>
>     Justin A. Lemkul