[gmx-users] Spherical constraint (spherical force)

Jochen Hub jochen at xray.bmc.uu.se
Mon Oct 17 15:36:42 CEST 2011

Hi Mikhail,

we hard-coded the flat-bottom potential into bondfree.c which is in
src/gmxlib. I send you the source file in a separate e-mail.

The patch will replace all position restraints by a flatt-bottom
spherical potential with a flat radius of 1.4nm. If you want a different
radius you'll have to change the bondfree.c, look for the posre
function. It's a quite dirty inflexible hack, but it was good enough for
us. So you cannot have normal position restraints and the flat-bottom
restraints at the same time.

Note that you must define the reference position of all the position
restraint potentials with the -r option of grompp. E.g., if your droplet
is at the origin, you need a gro/pdb file with all coordinates set to
0,0,0 to be used with the -r option. The position restraints are defined
as usual in the [ position_restraints ] sections in the topology.

I hope this helps, please let us know if something is unclear.

Jochen

On 10/17/11 Oct 17,2:41 PM, Mikhail Stukan wrote:

> Dear gmx-user,
>
> I would like to simulate an isolated  drop of water (without PBC). To
> prevent water molecules form evaporation I would like to create a
> spherical constraint around the system. In recent article in PNAS
> (Caleman, Hub, van Maaren, van der Spoel,  v. 108, 6838 (2011)) where
> the authors considered similar system it is mentioned that:
>
> "To avoid such evaporation, we applied a spherical flat-bottom
> quadratic potential acting on the water. That potential was
> implemented as an additional force F pointing toward the COM of the
> droplet..."
>
> Could anybody give a hint how this approach can be realized in
> GROMACS? I looked through the manual, but did  not find clear answer
> how to implement such a force.
>
> Thank you very much in advance.
>
> Mikhail

> Dr Mikhail Stukan
>
> Schlumberger Dhahran Carbonate Research Center,
>
> Dhahran Techno Valley  - KFUPM,
>
> P.O. Box 39011, Dammam / Doha Camp  31942,
>
> Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
>
> Tel: +966 3 331 6182
>
> Fax:+966 3 330 0845
> mstukan at slb.com <mailto:mstukan at slb.com>

Dr. Jochen Hub
Computational and Systems Biology
Dept. of Cell&  Molecular Biology
Uppsala University. Box 596, 75124 Uppsala, Sweden.
Phone: +46-18-4715056 Fax: +46-18-511755
http://xray.bmc.uu.se/~jochen/index.html