[gmx-users] High temperature Simulation

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Oct 17 17:29:15 CEST 2011

Kavyashree M wrote:
> Ok, The protein I am going to simulate is from a hyperthermophilic organism
> which lives in deep oceanic thermal vents. so in the deep vents the pressure
> will be enormous. even though I do not have much information about the
> magnitude of pressure in that site and inside the cell of that
> organism.. I may
> be able to get some rough estimate of pressure..
>
> So I wanted to simulate this protein at a temperature near 90 or 100 deg C.

I would suggest investigating what an appropriate pressure value might be
(although I agree it's hard to say, and you may not be able to actually simulate
at such a pressure for stability reasons), equilibrate under NPT until the
pressure and temperature are stable, then switch to NVT to eliminate the boiling
issue.  It is hard to say whether or not any force field or water model will
inherently be stable for these conditions, but high temperature MD is a topic
that is well-represented in the literature.  I'd suggest you apply proven
methodology that makes sense in your case.

-Justin

jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080