[gmx-users] RE:Interaction Energy

lloyd riggs lloyd.riggs at gmx.ch
Tue Oct 18 14:36:08 CEST 2011

Message: 1
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2011 06:41:55 -0400
From: "Justin A. Lemkul" <jalemkul at vt.edu>
Subject: Re: [gmx-users] Interaction energy
To: Discussion list for GROMACS users <gmx-users at gromacs.org>

Steven Neumann wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 6:02 PM, Justin A. Lemkul <jalemkul at vt.edu
> <mailto:jalemkul at vt.edu>> wrote:
>

>     Steven Neumann wrote:
>
>         Dear Gmx Users,
>          I would like to calculate the interaction energy (LJ and
>         electrostatic) between each residue and my ligands (10 ligands
>         in the system). I would like to see what is the contribution of
>         electrostatic and vdW interactions between ligand and each of my
>         residue. I thought to use g_energy and specify each of my
>         residues in index files but it is not possible. Will you suggest
>         how to do this?
>

>     For such information, you have to specify these groups as energygrps
>     in the .mdp file.  You can rerun the trajectory using mdrun -rerun
>     and a new .tpr file specifying these groups, but depending on the
>     output frequency, the result may not be as accurate as you'd like.
>
>     -Justin
>

> Thank you Justin. Now I have two groups sepcified in my mdp file:
>
> energygrps = Protein LIG
>
> How can I specify each residue of my protein separately and each ligand?
> In my md.gro file I have residues:
>
>     91GLY 92TYR ..... 161LIG 162LIG...
>

> Will it be correct like this
>
> energygrps = 91GLY 92 TYR ... 161LIG 162LIG...

No.  The names must correspond to valid groups in an index file.

> If yes, will this simulation take longer? Thank you

Perhaps, but certainly your energy file will be considerably larger.

-Justin

> Steven
>

>--

Dear Steven,

I did the following, but like Justin mentioned the files get large.  Basically, I made a very complex ndx file from the beggining.  I have the whole proteins and peptides involved, then a series of loops, and protein minus loop, and then individual amino acids and protein minus the amino acids.  Basically every time you make the ndx for a particular amino acid/chain/loop you also have to generate the ndx for the rest of your protein minus what you were looking at.  Otherwise you run out of groups to assign, and will start getting "residue or atom in multiple groups" when it is referenced more than one time.

This might not be necessary in your case, but lets you divie up energy contributions easier, although multiple re-runs using varied indexes might be necessary, ie for the sum total, then varied parts, etc...

At least that is a suggestion from my experience..

Freundlichen Grüsse

Stephan Watkins