[gmx-users] potential energy of one molecule using GAFF: confused regarding Ryckaert-Bellemans and 1-4 potentials

Vedat Durmaz durmaz at zib.de
Thu Oct 20 10:25:54 CEST 2011

thanks mark. i guess it took some time answering all these questions.
and i think you are right. trying to interpret each computed energy term
seperately in a physical manner is senseless. especially since i'm not
really deep inside the force field & implementation stuff. however, with
one of your statements i cannot agree at all:

imho, free energy diff's on the basis of two conformations and their
steady state distribution are independent from both the energy and type
of the intermediate state. it's only the conversion's rate that does
depend on it.

but the reason, why i refrained from extracting the potential energy for
a subset of my system was simply due to the difficulties to find
"detailed information" about how to play it out although many gromacs
users have been asking for the issue over the last years. i needed
nearly one full day to figure it out even though it's a simple series of
about 4 gromacs commands only, given some md input & result files like
md.xtc, md.gro, complex.top, index.ndx:

|grompp -f mdSubset.mdp -c md.gro -p complex.top -o mdSubsetTemp.tpr|
|echo ||"1"| || tpbconv -s mdSubsetTemp.tpr -nsteps ||0| |-n index.ndx
-o mdSubset.tpr|
|echo ||"1"| || trjconv -s mdSubset.tpr -f md.xtc -o mdSubset.xtc|
|mdrun -s mdSubset.tpr -rerun mdSubset.xtc -v -deffnm mdSubset|

where "1" stands for the group to be extracted (from the list of groups
in the index file) and "-nsteps 0" causes recomputation of for the
extracted subset at the given time steps only. i mention it here so that
other users looking for the details might find them a little bit faster
... it's especially this kind of "tiny tutorials" that i miss e. g. on
the gromacs website.

thanks for listening and kind regards,

vedat