[gmx-users] Simulation of membrane protein

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Tue Oct 25 14:05:51 CEST 2011

James Starlight wrote:
> Justin,
>
> Could you tell me if I want to simulate self-organization of the pure
> lipid bilayer starting from the initial random placed molecules in
> water. Does this simulation need in pre-md NVT and NPT equilibration?

Some form of equilibration is always required.

> What the average time for NPT? I think that If this stage should occur
> it must be consist of long ( tens of NS ) preequilibration.

Temperature and pressure will likely converge within a few ns, but the
simulation is not equilibrated until the membrane has formed, I would say.  This
is a process that can take hundreds of ns, or even us.  Check the literature for
established protocols; there are reports of bilayer self-assembly already published.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee