[gmx-users] Center of simulation box

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Wed Oct 26 19:11:24 CEST 2011

zhenlong li wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> In my simulation, when the simulation box shrinks, the center of box
> always shift towards the origin even if the center motion is set to
> removed every timestep.
> I just wonder if there is an anticipated center position for a given
> simulation box in gromacs. The box type is dodecahedron in my simulation.

Yes, this is expected.  By default, a unit cell built by Gromacs will be
centered at (x/2, y/2, z/2).

> My problem is how to make sure a group of atoms, such as proteins,  sit
> at the center of the simulation box after the simulation box become stable.
> Current, as the center of the box floats, it is very difficult to
> maintain it by position restraint of the center group.

If you are applying periodic boundary conditions, there is no such thing as a
center (since the system is infinite).  While it may be a useful convention for
visualization purposes, there is no effect on the calculation itself.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee