[gmx-users] query on OPLS-2005

Cara Kreck cara_a_k at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 28 09:50:35 CEST 2011

Hi Sanku

According to the Schrodinger Knowledge Base, this is the paper that should be referenced for OPLS-2005 instead:
Banks, J.L., H.S. Beard, Y. Cao, A.E. Cho, W. Damm, R. Farid, A.K. Felts,T.A. Halgren, D.T. Mainz, J.R. Maple, R. Murphy, D.M. Philipp, M.P. Repasky,L.Y. Zhang, B.J. Berne, R.A. Friesner, E. Gallicchio, and R.M. Levy. Integrated Modeling Program, Applied Chemical Theory (IMPACT). J. Comp. Chem., 26, 1752 (2005)
(http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jcc.20292/full)

The Gromacs oplsaa.ff/forcefield.doc file says OPLS-AA/L all-atom force field (2001 aminoacid dihedrals)

OPLS-AA/L seems to presented in the above paper as their updated version, but it is sourced from the 2001 paper on proteins which is listed as a reference in the Gromacs oplsaa.ff/forcefield.itp file. The 2005 paper then adds  the following:
"New force-field parameters were developed for OPLS_2003 for organic
functional groups for which the OPLS_2001 force field does not provide
specific parameters. Previously derived parameters for proteins, discussed above, were implemented without modification in OPLS_2003." (Where 2003 apparently evolved into 2005).

So it looks like the protein section of both force-fields are the same, but if you want to use other parameters you should check them individually first to see whether or not they were changed or created since 2001.

Cara