[gmx-users] umbrella sampling

chris.neale at utoronto.ca chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Fri Oct 28 16:07:32 CEST 2011

You need to evaluate convergence yourself for any simulation. I
suggest doing the whole thing twice (or more) with different starting
conformations. Also, look at the PMF from block averaging (generate
one PMF from the 0-2 ns data, another from the 2-4 ns data, and so on)
and see if there is a systematic drift with time.

In my opinion, if you really want to converge to within 5 kcal/mol
without using additional restraints as Justin mentioned, then you
should be expecting to do >>100 ns per umbrella, and probably >>1000
ns per umbrella. -- Thus additional restraints are a very good idea.
To see about using additional restraints, check out this paper: THE
JOURNAL OF CHEMICAL PHYSICS 125, 084902 (2006) and this one: Journal
of Chemical Theory and Computation 3(4):1231-1235 (2007). They are not
US, but the idea is the same.

Chris.