[gmx-users] pdb2gmx problem with ACE N-cap

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Fri Oct 28 23:04:52 CEST 2011

Sanku M wrote:
> Hi,
>   I have a protein pdb file with ACE as N-cap and I am trying to use
> pdb2gmx ( within gromacs 4.5.4 ) to generate a topology file using
> opls/AA . the ACE is present in opls aminoacids.rtp files. But, on
> issuing the pdb2gmx command, I get following error message:
>
> Program pdb2gmx_44, VERSION 4.5.4
> Source code file: pdb2top.c, line: 1070
>
> Fatal error:
> atom N not found in buiding block 1ACE while combining tdb and rtp
>
> I wonder how I can make sure that ACE can be used as N-terminus.

You've somehow constructed the cap wrong.  There is no N atom in ACE.  Check the
.rtp for what's required, check your coordinate file, and make sure you're using
"-ter none" with pdb2gmx.  If that's still not working, post your command and
relevant snippet of your coordinate file.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar
MILES-IGERT Trainee