[gmx-users] Adding Hydrogens by pdb2gmx

Justin A. Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Mon Oct 31 14:12:59 CET 2011

James Starlight wrote:
> exactly
>
> all hydrogens were represented as a part of the groupd in wich they
> were. So is there possible way to explicit it?

I'm not quite sure I follow.  A united atom force field, by definition, does not
have aliphatic hydrogens.  I suggest you consult the literature and understand
the intrinsics of the chosen force field before you attempt to use it.

> Another question about pdb2gmx. about -term
> as I understood this must be used only if atoms for CAP groups are
> presented in the PDB file mustnt it?

The -ter option can be useful in changing the protonation state of the termini
or in adding caps.

> So what term exactly do? Doest it make a connection beetween CAP and C
> and N termi or anothing else?

By default, pdb2gmx builds charged termini (NH3+ and COO-), per the typical
protonation states of these groups in aqueous solution.  If a cap is present,
then you don't want pdb2gmx doing that, so by choosing "None" for the termini in
conjunction with the caps, only one proton is added to the N-terminus (as in an
amide), and only one carbonyl oxygen remains on the C-terminus, such that the
caps can be added in a sensible way.

Justin A. Lemkul
Ph.D. Candidate
ICTAS Doctoral Scholar