[gmx-users] Re: Re: Re: Reference structure for g_covar

vivek modi modi.vivek2009 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 31 16:01:37 CET 2011

Hi Tsjerk,

Thanks for your earlier reply. It makes things clear.

Is it possible that the cosine content of  first PC is high because of the
fluctuations in the long loop  regions which dominate and not in the
secondary structures. The fluctuations in the loop regions is of no
interest to me and I suspect it is making the cosine content high.  If I
repeat the calculations by selecting only the secondary structures (helices
in this protein) and ignoring the loop regions, then the cosine content is
fairly low. As I have a good understanding of the system I am working on I
know that loops do not play any role.

Is it appropriate then to perform PCA by selecting only the secondary
structure elements and not loops. What do you suggest ?

Regards,

-Vivek

 Message: 2