[gmx-users] GROMACS 4.5.4 keep crashing all the time

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu Sep 1 10:57:05 CEST 2011

On 1/09/2011 6:32 PM, Itamar Kass wrote:
> Hi Tsjerk,
>
> Thanks for the help, it actually worked. When nstpcouple is set to 1m the system can be equilibrated (NPT) without LINCS error. I hadn't thought about it as I never use NVT (unless doing FE calculations).

Equilibrating with NVT before NPT can be wise when the system starts far
from equilibrium.

> Is this mean the 4.5.4 is more sensitive the 4.0.7? Is this effect the data collected till now? If this is the case, why 5 ns simulations done with 4.0.7 crashed when extended it using 4.5.4?

IIRC 4.0.x and 4.5.x have different mechanisms for deciding how often to
do global communication for things like T and P coupling. Mostly you can
get away with the same kind of approximation one uses with twin-range
neighbour lists, periodic neighbour list updates, RESPA, etc. where
slowly-varying quantities don't have to be recalculated every step.
However during equilibration (and that includes the transition from
4.0.x to 4.5.x) those assumptions need not be valid. So tuning the
update frequency to be high during transitions is a good idea. Then
relax them and see how you go.

Mark