[gmx-users] Error from residues added to rtp file

Delmotte, Antoine antoine.delmotte09 at imperial.ac.uk
Mon Sep 5 10:41:11 CEST 2011

Dear Gromacs users,

I am once again requesting your help for the editing of the opls force
field .rtp and .hdb files.

I have inserted the parameters for a new residue, N-methyl methionine
(MME). In this molecule, the methyl group is attached to the nitrogen
atom from the peptide bond, which I think is the origin of my problem.

pdb2gmx works fine and generates the topology files without any error.
Unfortunately, when I looked at the .gro file generated in PyMol (after
conversion to pdb with g_editconf), I realized that 3 hydrogens have
been added to the nitrogen atom, so I effectively get R2-N-H4:

H1 \   / CH3
H2 - N - CA - (rest of the aminoa acid)...
H3 /   \ H

instead of R2-N-H:

CH3 \
       N - CA - (rest of the aminoa acid)...
   H /

My guess is that Gromacs automatically adds those 3 hydrogens because
MME is a terminal residue, but I don't know how to prevent pdb2gmx from
doing so.

I have tried different modifications in the .rtp file, including using
different atom types, removing the peptide bond (the line N -C ) in the
list of bonds, changing the hdb file, but nothing seems to have had any
effect.

I guess I could also simply remove these hydrogens from the .gro and
.itp files after using pdb2gmx, but I would have a better confidence in
what I changed in the force field files if pdb2gmx was giving me the
right answer directly.

See below my .rtp and .hdb entries:

[ MME ]
  [ atoms ]
      N    opls_238   -0.500     1
     CA    opls_224B   0.140     1
     HA    opls_140    0.060     1
     CB    opls_136   -0.120     2
    HB1    opls_140    0.060     2
    HB2    opls_140    0.060     2
     CG    opls_210    0.048     3
    HG1    opls_140    0.060     3
    HG2    opls_140    0.060     3
     SD    opls_202   -0.335     4
     CE    opls_209   -0.013     5
    HE1    opls_140    0.060     5
    HE2    opls_140    0.060     5
    HE3    opls_140    0.060     5
      C    opls_235    0.500     6
      O    opls_236   -0.500     6
     CM    opls_244   -0.110     7
    HM1    opls_140    0.037     7
    HM2    opls_140    0.037     7
    HM3    opls_140    0.037     7
  [ bonds ]
      N    CA
      N    CM
     CM   HM1
     CM   HM2
     CM   HM3
     CA    HA
     CA    CB
     CA     C
     CB   HB1
     CB   HB2
     CB    CG
     CG   HG1
     CG   HG2
     CG    SD
     SD    CE
     CE   HE1
     CE   HE2
     CE   HE3
      C     O

MME     6
1       1       H       N       CM      CA
1       5       HA      CA      N       C       CB
2       6       HB      CB      CG      CA
2       6       HG      CG      SD      CB
3       4       HE      CE      SD      CG
3       4       HM      CM      N       CA

Once again, any idea about this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance.

Regards,

Antoine