[gmx-users] Error from residues added to rtp file

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Mon Sep 5 10:54:01 CEST 2011

On 5/09/2011 6:41 PM, Delmotte, Antoine wrote:
> Dear Gromacs users,
>
> I am once again requesting your help for the editing of the opls force
> field .rtp and .hdb files.
>
> I have inserted the parameters for a new residue, N-methyl methionine
> (MME). In this molecule, the methyl group is attached to the nitrogen
> atom from the peptide bond, which I think is the origin of my problem.
>
> pdb2gmx works fine and generates the topology files without any error.
> Unfortunately, when I looked at the .gro file generated in PyMol
> (after conversion to pdb with g_editconf), I realized that 3 hydrogens
> have been added to the nitrogen atom, so I effectively get R2-N-H4:
>
> H1 \   / CH3
> H2 - N - CA - (rest of the aminoa acid)...
> H3 /   \ H
>
> instead of R2-N-H:
>
> CH3 \
>       N - CA - (rest of the aminoa acid)...
>   H /
>
> My guess is that Gromacs automatically adds those 3 hydrogens because
> MME is a terminal residue, but I don't know how to prevent pdb2gmx
> from doing so.

That uses the .tdb terminal database system. You will need a custom
entry to generate your two hydrogen atoms, and to use pdb2gmx -ter to
get a chance to select it.

Separately, if this residue is ever to be a non-terminal one, you'll
need to define one H atom bound to the N atom in the .rtp entry, so do
that now.

Mark