[gmx-users] Surface tension calculation of a bilayer with bilayer normal in y-direction

Shou-Chuang Yang shcyang at ucdavis.edu
Wed Sep 7 06:40:36 CEST 2011

Dear gmx-users,

I am pretty confused about how to calculate the surface tension of a bilayer
which with its bilayer
normal in y-direction rather than z-direction (as the default).

How does the Surf*SurfTen option in g-energy work? Does it take z as a
default bilayer normal?
If so, how can I calculate the surface tension in my case?

What if I use g_energy to get Pxx, Pyy and Pzz, than calculate my surface
tension as:
gamma= (Pyy - (Pxx+Pzz)/2) * Lz
What exactly is the "Lz"? Is it the length of the bilayer normal or the
length of either box-x or box-z
(in my case are the bilayer plane).

I will be vary thankful if anyone would kindly help me or discuss it with
me.
Thank you for your precious time.

Joanne