[gmx-users] Empirical potential for Pi stacking interactions?

Delmotte, Antoine antoine.delmotte09 at imperial.ac.uk
Fri Aug 10 11:12:27 CEST 2012

Dear Gromacs users,

I am currently looking for an empirical potential for pi stacking
interactions. Something like the Leonard Jones potential, or the Mayo
potential for hydrogen bonds. I was wondering if something like that
exists for pi stacking interactions?

I am not really looking for something that would be super accurate, I am
mainly looking for an expression which would give me a good enough
approximation of the pi stacking interaction energy, even if it is a
relatively crude approximation, in the case of DNA bases in particular.

Basically, something I could calculate relatively easily from the
coordinates of the bases directly, without having to run my PDB file
through a full MD package.

I know that this is not a question directly related to Gromacs, but this
mailing list seems to be the ideal place to get an answer to this type
question. If I am misusing the list in any way, feel free to redirect me
to a more appropriate forum or mailing list.

Many thanks in advance for your help,

Antoine