[gmx-users] checkpoint file

Juliette N. joojoojooon at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 22:08:22 CEST 2012

Yes this is to continue a crashed run, but I dont know why my runs
crash at the very beginnig of the simulation. I am using 4.5.4 so
-append should work by default. I tried a simulation from time zero
and it works as before (   mpirun -np 8 mdrun_mpi -deffnm md -s -o -c
-g -e -x ) but as soon as I include the -cpi flag the it doesn work
and  I get:

NOTE: invoking MPI_ABORT causes Open MPI to kill all MPI processes.
You may or may not see output from other processes, depending on
exactly when Open MPI kills them.

While as I said if I try to start from the very beginning it doesnt crash...

Any ideas..

Thanks

On 13 August 2012 15:51, Matthias Ernst <matthias.ernst2 at student.kit.edu> wrote:

> Am 13.08.2012 21:42, schrieb Juliette N.:
>
>> Thank you. I am using
>>
>>   mpirun -np 8 mdrun_mpi -deffnm md -s -o -c -g -e -x  -cpi md_prev.cpt
>
> I see a "md_prev.cpt". If I presume correctly that this is for the
> continuation of the crashed run: Why and did you read what I wrote?
>

>> but I dont get any output and the issued command terminates in the
>> terminal.
>>
>> Do I have to remove the -o -c -g -e -x flags from the command line?
>>
>> Appreciate your help,
>>

>> On 13 August 2012 15:28, Matthias Ernst <matthias.ernst2 at student.kit.edu>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Long story short: backup everything (since it's a backup, and hopefully
>>> you
>>> won't need it), then use the [whatever].cpt file. You don't want to do
>>> work
>>> twice, do you? If you use the [whatever]_prev.cpi file, you will
>>> calculate
>>> some frames *again* that are already there.
>>> If you use an up-to-date version of Gromacs (4.5.5 is the most recent
>>> one),
>>> then the files will be continued and not overwritten. This is stated on
>>> the
>>> page you already found (hint: "remaining output will be appended to the
>>> existing files (energy, trajectory, log, etc).")
>>>
>>> Good luck,
>>> Matthias

>>> --
>>> * Only plain text messages are allowed!
>>> * Please search the archive at
>>> http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/Search before posting!
>>> * Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www
>>> interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org.

> * Only plain text messages are allowed!
> * Please search the archive at

Thanks,