[gmx-users] When to use Dispersion Correction for Lipid Bilayers

Michael Shirts mrshirts at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 02:12:18 CEST 2012

Short answer -- use a dispersion correction if the force field was
parameterized to include one.  Make sure you use the cutoff that the
lipid was parameterized for as well.

Long answer -- neither on nor off is correct for a lipid bilayer.  A
dispersion corrections corrects for the fact that you are neglecting
the r^-6 term at long range.  However, it assumes an isotropic
distribution outside the cutoff.  Lipid bilayers have long range
order, so a standard dispersion correction is inappropriate.  The
lipid properties will be cutoff dependent, which is not a very good
thing.  See  PJ in't Veld, AE Ismail, GS Grest, J. Chem. Phys. 127,
144711 (2007) for a solution, using Ewald summation for the
Lennard-Jones terms.  This is in the works for Gromacs (and has been
for a while), but might still be a while because it's a little lower
on the to do list.  Once methods like this are in, it will be possible
to parameterize lipids that behave correctly.

Best,
Michael