[gmx-users] Hbond Shake and Gromacs Version Related

Sapna Sarupria sapna.sarupria at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 01:31:56 CEST 2012

That is a very valid point, Mark! and very well said indeed. Yes, you
are absolutely correct that we were in a rush to get to the
"equilibrium" point but it had to be pushed gently.

Thanks,
Sapna

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 7:29 PM, Mark Abraham <Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au> wrote:
> On 21/08/2012 9:02 AM, Sapna Sarupria wrote:
>>
>> Thanks Mark.
>>
>> I also discovered that if I set the value of nstpcoule = 1 explicitly
>> in my mdp file, it runs with the newer version of Gromacs 4.5.5 which
>> was not the case earlier.
>

> Yes, default behaviour of this kind of thing has varied over time. Again,
> small changes in inputs can have big changes in output. To insulate yourself
> from such things, equilibrate gently.
>

>> Can you tell me what this variable does exactly?
>

> Manual 7.3.15 :-)
>

>>   Will your suggestion
>> that the initial setup might be faulty still be valid?
>

> I didn't say the starting configuration was faulty - just that you were
> likely being too rough with it. The children's swings at the park are
> designed to be pushed along an equilibrium plane, but if you start the swing
> off that plane and maybe push in a strange direction, don't be surprised if
> the child cries :-)
>
> Mark
>

>> Thanks,
>> Sapna
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 6:54 PM, Mark Abraham <Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au>
>> wrote:

>>> Minor differences in how things are constructed can have big effects on
>>> numerical integration. MD is chaotic.

>>> As you will see in
>>> http://www.gromacs.org/Documentation/Terminology/Blowing_Up, the problem
>>> is
>>> usually not with the constraints, but they're the first thing to show
>>> deviant behaviour. Your use of T and P coupling algorithms is likely
>>> inappropriate for equilibration given your starting point. Equilibrating
>>> initially with Berendsen and/or a small time step will likely move you to
>>> point where you can switch to the algorithms that produce proper
>>> ensembles.
>>>
>>> Mark
>>> --
>>> * Only plain text messages are allowed!
>>> * Please search the archive at
>>> http://www.gromacs.org/Support/Mailing_Lists/Search before posting!
>>> * Please don't post (un)subscribe requests to the list. Use the www
>>> interface or send it to gmx-users-request at gromacs.org.

> * Only plain text messages are allowed!
> * Please search the archive at

Sapna Sarupria
Assistant Professor
Department of Chemical and
Biomolecular Engineering
128 Earle Hall
Clemson University
Clemson, SC 29634

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself. --
George Bernard Shaw.
Dare to Dream