[gmx-users] Re: deltaG from PMF

Steven Neumann s.neumann08 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 17:57:45 CEST 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 4:49 PM, Thomas Schlesier <schlesi at uni-mainz.de> wrote:
> Since your simulations of the individual windows are about 50 ns, you could
> first dismiss the first 10 ns for equilibration, and then perform the WHAM
> analysis for 10-30 ns and 30-50 ns. If everything is fine, you should see no
> drift.
> If you want to have more data for the analysis you could also use 5ns ;
> 5-27.5ns and 27.5-50ns.
>
> From the PMF it seems that the equilibrium state should be around 0.6 nm. To
> be sure, you can perform a normal simulation (without any restraints) from
> you initial starting window (~0.4nm) and a window near the minima (~0.6nm).
> Then after the equilibration phase, look at the distribution of the distance
> along the reaction coordinate. If in both cases the maximum is at ~0.6nm,
> this should be the 'true' equilibrium state of the system (instead of the
> first window of the PMF calculation) and i would measure \Delta G from this
> point.
>
> Greetings
> Thomas

Thanks Thomas for this but finally I realised that my first
configuration corresponds to 0.6 nm which is the minima so I take the
free energy difference based on this value and plateau.

I want also to calculate error bars. Would you do this:

Final PMF curve for 10-50 ns

Error bars from:
g_wham -b 30000 -e 40000

g_wham -b 50000 -e 60000