[gmx-users] grompp in KALP15-DPPC

Justin Lemkul jalemkul at vt.edu
Sat Aug 25 18:29:53 CEST 2012

On 8/25/12 12:26 PM, Shima Arasteh wrote:
> Hi,
> I am doing the simulation of KALP15 in DPPC following the Justin's tutorial.
>
> For the step of solvation I ran this command:
> # genbox -cp system.gro -cs spc216.gro -o system_solv.gro -p topol.top
>
> The output of this step is as here:
> Reading solute configuration
> frame t= 1.000
> Containing 17503 atoms in 3800 residues
> Initialising van der waals distances...
>
> WARNING: masses and atomic (Van der Waals) radii will be determined
>           based on residue and atom names. These numbers can deviate
>           from the correct mass and radius of the atom type.
>
> Reading solvent configuration
> "216H2O,WATJP01,SPC216,SPC-MODEL,300K,BOX(M)=1.86206NM,WFVG,MAR. 1984"
> solvent configuration contains 648 atoms in 216 residues
>
> Initialising van der waals distances...
> Will generate new solvent configuration of 4x4x4 boxes
> Generating configuration
> Sorting configuration
> Found 1 molecule type:
>      SOL (   3 atoms): 13824 residues
> Calculating Overlap...
> box_margin = 0.315
> Removed 10608 atoms that were outside the box
> Neighborsearching with a cut-off of 1.125
> Table routines are used for coulomb: FALSE
> Table routines are used for vdw:     FALSE
> Cut-off's:   NS: 1.125   Coulomb: 1.125   LJ: 1.125
> System total charge: 0.000
> Grid: 18 x 18 x 18 cells
> Successfully made neighbourlist
> nri = 152829, nrj = 41861902
> Checking Protein-Solvent overlap: tested 3204927 pairs, removed 30048 atoms.
> Checking Solvent-Solvent overlap: tested 17610 pairs, removed 60 atoms.
> Added 252 molecules
> Generated solvent containing 756 atoms in 252 residues
> Writing generated configuration to system_solv.gro
>
> Back Off! I just backed up system_solv.gro to ./#system_solv.gro.3#
> frame t= 1.000
>
> Output configuration contains 18259 atoms in 4052 residues
> Volume                 :     272.811 (nm^3)
> Density                :      947.87 (g/l)
> Number of SOL molecules:   3907
>
> Processing topology
> Removing line #929 'SOL               533' from topology file (topol.top)
>

> Then running grompp for the next step ( neutralization )
>
> grompp -f ions.mdp -c system_solv.gro -p topol.top -o ions.tpr
>
> But the error is:
>
> Fatal error:
> number of coordinates in coordinate file (system_solv.gro, 18259)
>               does not match topology (topol.top, 18159)
>

> Would you pleas help me? Do I need to modify the .top file before running grompp?

Well, something doesn't match, so yes.  But at the same time, if you're properly
maintained the topology thus far, then you shouldn't have to.  A difference of
100 atoms suggests there are 2 extra DPPC molecules in the coordinate file
relative to the topology.  I have no idea how you would have produced such a
mismatch though.

Research Scientist
jalemkul[at]vt.edu | (540) 231-9080